I’ve decided that Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a lot like fishing.
Both require a lot of patience and perseverance, but it goes deeper than that (see what I did there?!).
How to Get Results
If you are a serious fishing enthusiast you will know that there are a lot of factors to consider if you want to actually catch something. For example:
- Where are you going fishing? Will you be casting your line into a pond or river, or maybe you prefer surf fishing or reef fishing?
- What sort of fish do you want to catch? Are you happy with any nibbles? Does it matter if you’re reeling in a puffer fish or would you rather a bream or whiting?
- What bait or lure are you going to use? Of course, that will probably depend on the sort of fish you want to catch.
- What are the winds and tides doing? (I’m told that fishing on an incoming tide is best, not that I’m any authority!)
When it comes to catching fish – especially if you are after a particular fish – using the right bait in the right place at the right time is key.
Sure you can chuck a line in anywhere and hope for the best, but you’ll probably return home empty-handed.
Your SEO Strategy
It’s the same with SEO – for best results, you need to know what you’re doing. The following information will help you work out a suitable strategy:
- Are you aiming to rank well in local SEO, or internationally?
- What sort of people are you aiming to attract? (The great thing about SEO is that if done well, instead of just bringing any old nibble, it brings you qualified leads!)
- What bait are you going to use? What keywords are your potential customers going to search for when they need your goods or services?
- What’s the environment like – what are your competitors doing?
When it comes to fishing – if you love it, you’ll go often. If you don’t, you won’t – which if your family relies on fish for their dinner, means that they are going to suffer.
Can you see where I’m going with this? If you love it (like I do), you’ll constantly immerse yourself in it, even in your spare time – books, websites, workshops, experiments, talking to others.
And if you don’t? You’ll most likely neglect it, and your business will suffer as a result.
So if you are a business owner, annoyed that you haven’t gotten to grips with this SEO thing, that’s okay. I’m not much chop at fishing. But I can definitely help you with SEO!
Interested in finding out more? Give me a call on 0421 757 424 or email email@example.com today!