Have you ever thought of entering your local business awards?
A lot of people are uncomfortable with the thought of having to nominate themselves or their business for an award – but as the old saying goes, you’ve got to be in it to win it!
However you don’t even have to win to begin experiencing the rewards of local business awards.
I should know – last year I won the Redland Woman in Business award, and last week I learned that my business, Front Page Web Writing, is a finalist in the Redlands Business and Retail Awards: Best Start Up Business category.
Entering local business awards can help boost your business in so many ways, even if you don’t make the finals.
10 Reasons to Enter Local Business Awards
The beauty of local business awards is that the pool tends to be smaller, making it a great way to “test the waters”. There is much to be learned from the whole nomination and awards process that ultimately will only benefit your business.
As a result of entering my local business awards, I have:
- Taken the time to really reflect and celebrate my business achievements;
- Been able to focus on where my business is now, and where I want it to be – and how I will achieve that;
- Enjoyed (free!) media exposure;
- Built my business reputation and profile in the community;
- Gained new clients, one of whom told me that “You’ve won an award so you must know what you’re doing”;
- “Social proof” – participating in awards makes for great fodder and images for social media, blog posts, newsletters, etc;
- Been invited to speak or lead workshops;
- Increased my self and business confidence;
- Become involved in, and really feel a part of, the local business community – which means that I now actually enjoy networking!
- And, become recognised as an authority in my field.
I like to think of it this way: by just entering you are a winner, because so many people/businesses don’t even achieve that.
There are so many advantages to entering awards, even without winning or placing in the finals! It is never a waste of time, and you just never know what opportunities it could lead to …
As for me – I’m really looking forward to the Awards Gala Presentation and Dinner on Saturday 5 August when all the winners are announced. Can I make it two years in a row?! Only time will tell!